Bavarian Cabbage

As I stated in my previous post, I have been going through a transformation process since November. Part of where this process has taken me it is now beginning to take Tips. And further on that point, we've realized that just as we have to learn to take the negative garbage out of our minds, we should also start taking the processed garbage out of our bodies. We plan on doing a 10 day vegetable fast sometime in the next couple of months, but we know it will get old eating the same thing day in and day out, so we are experimenting by eating more vegetables we normally don't eat. Well, I guess I should say that I've been buying vegetables we don't normally eat and then finding recipes to make with the vegetables I spontaneously bought at the store.

Cabbage is one of them.

I actually like cabbage, well the two dishes that have had cabbage in them I have liked: coleslaw and saurkraut. I was first introduced to saurkraut in the summer of 1998 when I spent 3 weeks in Bavaria, Germany with a host family. LOVED it! Then when I learned about fermenting foods about 4 years ago, I bought a large cabbage and made saurkraut. I was the only one to eat it since it was too "saur" for Tips. 

I bought a red cabbage and a green cabbage a few weeks ago since I had read in my book about chickens (speaking of, we adopted two year old hens last month) that chickens like cabbage. I cut some up for them but they weren't too interested in it. So it sat in our fridge.... until last week when I had found a recipe for Cabbage Rolls and decided that since I didn't have all the ingredients for Cabbage Rolls I would just cook some cabbage leaves to use as Cabbage wraps and then put rice and beans in it. Tips liked that cooked cabbage last week. 

It gave me hope to try another cabbage dish yesterday.... Bavarian Cabbage in my crockpot!

Here is the recipe as it came from my "Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker" on page 225. 


My alterations will be in {}

1 small head red cabbage, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tart apples, cored and quartered
2 tsp salt {I used SmartSaltz from ForeverGreen}
1 cup hot water
2 Tbsp sugar {2 Tbsp honey dissolved in the 1 cup of hot water}
1/3 cup vinegar {I was going to use apple cider vinegar but then noticed I had almost an entire bottle of malt vinegar I have had for a few years and never used so I used that instead}
3 Tbsp bacon drippings {I didn't have any bacon drippings so I opted for coconut oil instead}

1. Place all ingredients in slow cooker in order listed. 
2. Cover. Cook on Low 8 hours, or High 3 hours. Stir well before serving. 

Here is what it looked like when I first covered it and started the crockpot timer for 3 hours on High:

  This is what it looked like at the end of the three hours:

And THIS is what it looked like on my dinner plate before I chowed down on it!
I served the following with the Bavarian Cabbage because it just seemed like it would go well (and it DID!): Yukon Gold Potatoes boiled until just tender (I put butter and REAL SALT on them before I ate) and Carne Asada (Beef Bottom Round Roast Pre-Sliced is what I found at Winco yesterday late afternoon so that is what I bought) pan fried in olive oil and seasoned with Kirkland's Season Salt (although it was my first time frying a beef cut in a frying pan and these were so thin I definitely overcooked them - but at least I know better for next time, because believe me, THERE IS GOING TO BE A NEXT TIME!!!!). It was especially tasty if you had a little bite of all three things on your fork when you put it in your mouth...so yummy! Best of all, Tips liked it really well. It was "surprisingly delicious" as he, my picky eater husband, stated.

Comments

Popular Posts