Victory Garden 2011: quick update 8/26

My life has been just a little hectic lately with the garden in full swing, working on the Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow Committee (I'm a sub-committee chair) and having our exchange student Hanna with us this last month and traveling with her. That's not even including the fact that I have two little ones!

I haven't taken pictures of our garden since the 6th of August, but we pulled out our corn stalks a week ago and I am getting ready to pull my bush beans out since they have slowed down on their production and some of the plants aren't looking so great. My project this coming week is to prep those two rows that hosted the corn and bush beans for my winter garden! Speaking of.... I received my seeds for my winter garden 2 weeks ago and I am so excited to get my winter garden in!
 


I harvested all of the food in this picture almost 2 weeks ago - the morning that we left to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I had 5 heads of lettuce that were getting ready to bolt, a gallon of beans and 19 ears of corn that were getting old... not to mention the obvious zucchini. I didn't have time to take the food to the local food bank that day, so I called our ward's Relief Society president (the woman in our church who oversees the distribution of goods to needy members of the ward/neighborhood as directed by the bishop) to see if she knew if anyone in the ward could use the food. She said she knew a few families so she would come over and get it. I think she was really surprised by the amount of food we had harvested in our garden just that morning! She was so impressed I would share it and I thought to myself, 'But it is my surplus and we can't eat it all. Isn't that what we are supposed to do with our surplus? Pass it on to help other people who need it more? Isn't that what the Law of Consecration is all about?"

I was just so thankful that the food would not be wasted and that it would go to someone who truly needed it! We have been so blessed in our garden this year that I know God expects me to share of our wealth! If  everyone who could garden actually did and then also developed a charitable heart to share of the abundance from their garden with needy neighbors and others in the community, we would have a lot less hungry people in the world. Perhaps that is the reason some of the seed companies are participating in the "Grow a Row for the Hungry" initiative and encouraging their patrons to grow a row of food specifically for their local food bank.

So next time you are thinking about decreasing the amount of food you grow in your garden because you know you and your family won't eat it, remember that your local food bank is always grateful for donations of fresh produce from local gardens!

Comments

Popular Posts