Solar Oven Cooking Part 1

My mom gave each of us 6 kids Global Sun Ovens for Christmas 5-1/2 years ago. Some of my siblings weren't overly excited (as was I when I opened it), but I've grown to be really appreciative of it over the years.

For one thing, you don't have to heat up your house in the summer time and make your AC or Evaporative Cooler ('Swamp Cooler') work double time if you want to bake cookies. For another, you aren't using any electricity so that saves on your electric bill.

Oh yeah, and baking in it doesn't add any carbon to the earth's atmosphere if you care about the environment at all.

If you are worried about the zombie apocalypse - no need to fear! I'm pretty sure the walking dead only come out at night so you are safe to cook in your sun oven during the day.

Now onto the serious business of just what you can cook in your sun oven! I've actually baked in it quite a few times, it just wasn't every convenient since I lived in an apartment building most of the time we've owned it and there were quite a few large trees at our apartment building that shaded the yard and most of the parking lot. Plus, when you have something this expensive you don't want to leave it unattended for very long.

But now that we own our house with a fenced yard and we have a deck right off the kitchen that receives direct light for 75% of the day, it's almost as convenient as if I was baking cookies right in my kitchen! So I set up the oven on two TV tables last Monday and started baking!

What exactly can you bake in a solar oven? My mom has experimented with hers a lot more than I have with mine, but she has cooked roasts, bread, cookies, brownies, cake, microwave pizzas, frozen pot pies, etc.

I've cooked/baked brownies, cookies, frozen pot pies, microwave pizzas, and dinner rolls over the years. I think I'll try baking a casserole in it next!

I volunteered to make a treat for the young women in our church to take with them to girls camp last week so I baked cookies last Monday afternoon for about 3 hours. I used about 3 of my dark silicone cake 'pans' and I only burned one batch of cookies (although some of them got pretty close to burning).

After baking the cookies last Monday I realized it was 4pm and Tips would be home from work in just over an hour and the oven was still over 300 degrees - so I hurried and threw together dinner of taco soup. Luckily it was all about opening cans and dumping them in!

Here is my thrown together from food storage, but quite tasty recipe:
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1/2 - 1 lb ground beef
about 1 Tbsp Taco Seasoning

And here it is fresh out of the sun oven.... granted I forgot to take a picture of it while it was actually in the sun oven, but we weren't going to eat dinner outside so I brought it inside and set it on the stovetop until Tips got home and we could serve it up and eat! It was still boiling when I took it out of the sun oven and brought it inside!

This soup was completely from our existing food storage! I even canned the kidney beans myself a week and a half ago.... but that's something I'll blog about at a later date.

Comments

Popular Posts