Lost Sheep Lesson - the Tips adaptation

I meant to write this yesterday but that obviously didn't happen!

The lesson for Tips and I went well - but since we were teaching the 9 & 10 year old class, we felt they needed a more challenging activity than what my mom did with her 7 & 8 year old class.

Yesterday morning Tips was online looking for "lost sheep game" on Google and one of the first searches to come up was this The Lost Sheep ~ Gentleness lesson. He saved the pdf file and showed it to me. He said to me, "I was thinking you could put it in Photoshop and number the sheep 1-100 and then remove a different numbered sheep for each child." This was about 2-1/2 hours before church started! Thankfully, I got it done (and obviously I post dated yesterday's post about the sheep lesson - I wouldn't have been able to write that post AND make these sheep before church yesterday!)

I copied & pasted just the page of sheep into Adobe Photoshop. At first I was putting numbers in a Stickman fashion (starting in one quadrant and moving clockwise into the other quadrants and so on) but that was going to take a lot more time and so instead I divided the page into 4 sections each with about 25 sheep in each section. Since there were only 99 sheep on the page I had to copy one of the sheep (love that rubber stamp feature!) so I would have 100 sheep on the page to work with.

I then wrote down on a piece of paper which numbers would go in each quadrant.

The top left quadrant would contain the following numbers: 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 57, 61, 65, 69, 73, 77, 81, 85, 89, 93, and 97.

The top right quadrant would contain the 2nd set of numbers: 2, 6, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 70, 74, 78, 82, 86, 90, 94, and 98.

The bottom right quadrant would contain the 3rd set of numbers: 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47, 51, 55, 59, 63, 67, 71, 75, 79, 83, 87, 91, 95, and 99.

The bottom left quadrant would contain the 4th set of numbers: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 63, 68, 72, 76, 80, 84, 88, 92, 96 and 100.

As I was making up this list for each section I thought to myself: "I'm really glad I know my multiplication table and how to count in 4s even when I don't start with an even number!"

I blocked out the three other sections (love the layers in Photoshop!) and then just focused on typing each number from the 1st section in the 1st quadrant and when that was done I moved onto the 2nd section (removing the layer that was covering it of course) and so on.

Once I had all 100 sheep numbered I saved that as my Master psd file and then went back and deleted a sheep in the high numbers (60-100) and saved that as the "missing sheep 65" and so on for 7 different pages.

Then I went back to the Word document Tips had started with the question: "Which one is missing?" and a # on the bottom of the page so that I could refer to my answer key to know when the children figured out which sheep was missing from their page.

You can access the document here: Which one is missing?

Now, for how we started off the lesson. The lesson instructs the teacher to:
Share with the children a time when you or someone you know lost something valuable and then found it again. Describe for the children the value of the item, how you felt about losing it, what you did to find it, and how you felt when it was recovered. If appropriate, you could bring the object to show to the class. Ask the children to relate any incidents in their lives when they lost something valuable and found it again.

Pirate Gold Coins (144 pcs)Knowing that we weren't the regular teachers and knowing how kids respond to questions we knew we needed to create an opportunity for them to find something. Luckily on Saturday night I came across 7 chocolate gold coins my mom had given me for Tips Jr. I had stashed to ration out to him. We seem to have an over abundance of candy in this house so I decided TJ could sacrifice a few gold coins. We arrived to church about 15 minutes before Sacrament meeting began and since our classroom is right across the hall from the chapel we went in there and hid the chocolate coins as best we could in a room that had a chalkboard, table, metal folding chairs, some little kid plastic chairs and a garbage can. Masking tape came in handy as we taped a coin under the table, under the chalkboard tray, under the garbage can and under one of the stacked little kids chairs and then on the back of one of the metal folding chairs that was leaning up against the wall in a stack.

When all three boys arrived (that's all who came to church yesterday), we asked them if they had ever lost something, looked for it and found it. They all said "Yes". When we asked for the story they 'forgot' what had happened until one of the boys told about his older brother lost his Nintendo Gameboy Advance and found it a year later. So we showed them the coin we hadn't hidden and told them we needed them to help us find them. Only one of the boys was actively looking until we told them they were chocolate coins they could eat AFTER they had found all 5 missing coins. Then the other 2 boys got more interested and started to help searching for them. Once they found all 5 of them we let them each eat one of them and had them give the other 2 back to us (for TJ of course!) Then we started discussing the parables of the lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost son (the Prodigal Son).

We were supposed to have the lesson for close to 50 minutes and it was such a good thing we made the "Which sheep is missing?" pages! We spent about 20 minutes giving the lesson and then we handed each one of the boys a different page and they spent the next 20 minutes looking for the lost sheep. After 15 or so minutes we gave them a clue about how the page was divided up into 4 sections (which only helped one of the boys, sort of) and they eventually figured it out!

Tips had made 3 copies of each page in the church library in between Sacrament meeting and Sunday School so we could send home additional copies of the page the children worked on with the children so they could have the Family Home Evening activity that week for their family to work on.

As we were waiting in the hallway to go into Primary Sharing Time I asked the boys if the activity was too hard. One of them said, "Yeah, but it was fun!"

Apparently tween boys DO like to be challenged!

Comments

Kim Diaco said…
Love love love... the lost sheep game. The best part is you already created it. I was really liking the game, but then was considering time and thought I have to much on my plate already and won't have time to make it up. Thank you for taking the time to not only share your idea, but to allow us to use the project you made up. I had a hard time following what you had done in your explanation, until I saw it. Thank you again, no doubt our kids will love it. I will be using it for the 2nd-5th grade age, which is approximately 20 kids. God Bless you!

Popular Posts