Donating Hair

My grandma had leukemia when I was 12 and passed away the following year. She received chemotherapy after her initial diagnosis and of course, her hair fell out. She told my mom once, "Some women would do anything to have thick hair like Yvonne's."

That stayed with me for a long time. Especially when I tried to donate blood in college and nearly passed out. I guess when you already have low blood pressure and hypervagatonia with vasal vagal syncope, donating blood isn't such a good idea.

I didn't want to wait until I died to donate organs though, I wanted to help people NOW!

I first donated hair to Locks of Love when I was in college. I had long hair but decided it was time for a change, and what better excuse to get a hair cut than to donate my locks? So I chopped it!

The 2nd time I donated hair was after Tips and I were married. This picture was taken October 2005 and obviously before I chopped my hair. I don't think I've had my hair that long ever since!

And here I am after the cut a month later! I really like this hairstyle - it was fun and easy to manage, especially since I have a cowlick on the bottom layers of my hair, so my hair will always flip out easily when it is that length. That ponytail went to Locks of Love - so I have now donated 2 ponytails to Locks of Love.




















These pictures were taken March 2008. It seems I can only handle having long hair until it starts to get past my shoulder blades, and then it's time to cut it again.

Same day. I think I was trying to go for the short hairstyle I had the last time, but it didn't work out or something like that. It's still okay, but it hasn't been my favorite short hairstyle. This ponytail and the next one went to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.

This picture was taken October 2010, so just last year. Looks like I made it just over 2-1/2 years before it was time to chop the hair again!

This is by far my most favorite short hairstyle. I LOVE it! It's got a Victoria Beckham feel to it, although not quite as short as hers (but I did tell the stylist I wanted it as drastically short as Victoria's - I don't think she believed me).

Anyway.... if any of my long-haired readers have ever contemplated donating your hair, I highly recommend it! Our hair is truly a renewable resource that can benefit children and women who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy treatments or other diseases.

Comments

Popular Posts