What to do with all those green tomatoes?

Since I've been AWOL on the bloggersphere for a while I thought I would try blogging for 3 days a week.... Plus I actually have a LOT of photos I've taken over the last year with the sole intent to blog about on MrsTips! So now it's time for catch-up.
Plus, we moved into our first home 8 weeks ago and we have so much work to do on our yard and the outside of our house that I will have plenty to blog about!

So next up in my playing catch-up is green tomato chutney!!! Here it is in the pot and starting to simmer for the next 2 hours as the vinegar boils out. Isn't it so pretty? It's too bad the finished product isn't this colorful.


I had quite a few green tomatoes last fall. I didn't want to waste them and my sister-in-law didn't really want to eat fried green tomatoes every night of the week for a month. I honestly thought they would rot before they turned red. I decided to try making Green Tomato Chutney in the Joy of Cooking 2006 edition my mom gave me for Christmas that year. I seriously LOVE that book! It doesn't have very many pictures, but the directions are so worth it! I've tried to follow recipes in the past that had great pictures and MY end result wasn't nearly as good as the picture in the book looked. I don't think they ever tasted right either. But EVERY recipe has turned out exactly as I expected it to when I use Joy of Cooking!


Christmas 2006 on the phone with my mom right after I opened my present.


I don't know if this is copyright infringement to post it - so if I get a notice from the publisher's attorney I'll remove it, but until then this recipe is awesome!!!


Apple or Green Tomato Chutney (page 951)
About three 1-pint jars
Please read about pickling, 943-945
Wash the fruit and peppers, if using. 
Combine in a large saucepan: 
1 lemon, seeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
5 cups chopped peeled firm apples or peeled, 951, firm green tomatoes
2 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups raisins
3 ounces preserved ginger, chopped, or 1/4 cup chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons pickling or canning salt, 944
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups cider vinegar
(2 red bell peppers, chopped) 
(Mrs Tips recommends the red bell peppers since that is what makes it look so pretty in the pot!)

Simmer, stirring frequently, at least 2 hours, or until the sauce has thickened. Pack the hot chutney into hot pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. See Putting Up Pickles, 945. Process for 15 minutes.

I would caution that you turn on your overhead range fan and open the window - because the vinegar is VERY strong as it cooks down!

Other than that, this recipe is tasty. I didn't even know what you used chutney with until I made this recipe, but chutney is a traditional Indian condiment to go with rice, beans, etc. However this recipe is not a true Indian recipe, it is a British adaption that came about when India used to be part of the British Empire.

I did double the recipe so I could bottle an entire batch in my water-bath canner since it was hot-pack method canning. I also needed to add some extra cider vinegar to cover the chutney with liquid to can. 

Here is my finished product: 6 pint bottles!


Comments

Popular Posts