Gardening When It Counts

My mom gave us this book, Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times by Steve Solomon last year for Tips' birthday. I read the chapter about composting a couple of times last year and realized that I had been doing composting wrong all along! So hopefully this year's compost will actually be real compost!


As it is February and our growing season is coming fast upon us, I have been reading more of this book to prepare myself to have a more successful garden this year. Did you know that according to Solomon, tomatoes require less skill to grow than lettuce? It is so wonderful to have someone with years of experience (he started Territorial Seed Company and grew trial gardens for 5 years in addition to his own vegetable garden) share with you the tips and tools he has found to be most beneficial in not only producing a successful garden - but more importantly a NUTRITIOUS garden! And to do it organically is even better!

If you can't afford to buy his book, it is available on googlebooks here Some pages are unavailable, but from what you are able to read, it should give you a good enough idea to see that Solomon really knows his stuff and what he is talking about!

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere as I do, you might want to start reading chapter 4, Garden Centers, now if you want to save money and start your own seedlings rather than buying them later on from a garden center.

Like he said, the cheapest education you can get is to learn from another man's mistakes (his own) if you will only buy what he is telling you.

To see how amazing his current gardening efforts are at his home in Tasmania, Australia - here is a link to his personal website where you can download Power Point Presentations that have magnificent photos of what he is able to grow in his garden!

http://www.soilandhealth.org/05steve%27sfolder/05aboutmeindex.html

ETD: 2/11/2010 at 2:30 MST to include GoogleBooks link in the actual post (rather than just the link when you click on the title) and also to recommend reading Chapter 4, Garden Centers.

Comments

marion said…
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Lucy
http://dataentryjob-s.com

Popular Posts