LDS morning devotionals

I decided that I really do get more out of the Gospel Doctrine (GD) Sunday School lesson at church each week when I actually read the lesson and study it the week before.... wait, isn't this why you are supposed to read chapters outlined by your professor in college BEFORE you get to class? There must be something to that preparation furthers your understanding of a subject! :D

Being the mother to a toddler, I really have limited time to get everything done that I want to do. So I came up with the idea to break down the weekly Sunday School lesson and teach it in parts to Tips Jr throughout the week. As he and my future children get older, they will have a similar lesson in their Sunday School class so it will help them prepare to learn more from their Sunday School lessons, but for now Tips Jr is in Nursery with very basic lessons so although I'm sure it will help him to have the repetition of lessons and songs at home throughout the week, I don't know if it will help deepen his understanding of the lesson as I expect it will help him as he gets older and how it will help me. 

So I ask, if other Christian families have a morning devotional, why can't an LDS mother like me have one that will help me not only prepare to be taught in Sunday School each week, but also help me see how to apply the principles taught in the lesson in my own life? After all, it is by teaching others that we ourselves begin to master a topic/subject, and by breaking it down into parts, it will give me different perspectives of the same lesson.

I was going to wait until the last week of December to do this and begin with the first lesson of the new year, which will be out of the Old Testament student study guide, but I realized I needed to get into the groove and figure things out a little bit better before I did that. This last week the lesson was "The Family is Ordained of God" and the reading assignment was "The Family: A Proclamation to the World". I got 2 lessons in - one on Thursday and one on Friday... now I just need to establish a morning routine to do it EVERY day... going to bed before midnight would probably help. ;)

The lessons I used this last week came from the Nursery manual, Behold Your Little Ones were lesson #1 I am a Child of God and #2 Heavenly Father has a Plan for Me - and I sang the song "I am a Child of God" to Mason both days as part of the lesson, so maybe everyday I should sing him one or all of the songs used in each lesson throughout the week, because sometimes the same song from the Children's Songbook is used in more than one lesson. It would certainly get me to play the piano more often than I have been doing!
Next week's GD lesson is "Zion-The Pure in Heart" (one of my favorite topics!) so I read through the GD student study guide outline and this is what it says (copied from lds.org) - and remember, I haven't read ANY of the reading assignments yet, just the outline. I hope to read at least 2 of the scriptures a day outloud to Tips Jr., but we'll see.

Reading assignment: Doctrine and Covenants 57:1–3; 64:33–43; 97:8–28; 105:1–12; Moses 7:12–19, 61–63, 68–69; Articles of Faith 1:10; Our Heritage,pages 37–38, 145–46.


Think of some of the most meaningful teachings you remember from this year’s study of the Doctrine and Covenants and Church history. Some ways to help remember could include looking back through this study guide, reviewing scripture chains, recalling favorite stories from Our Heritage, or leafing through the Doctrine and Covenants to see passages you have marked.

Take a few minutes to write about these meaningful teachings in your journal. Write down what you have learned from these teachings about how to build Zion.

Scripture Chain: “Zion—The Pure in Heart”

Matthew 5:8
D&C 100:16
D&C 50:28
D&C 101:17–18
D&C 97:21

Then I read the Contents page in Behold Your Little Ones these are the lessons I came up with to work on this next week with Mason for any of you who are interested in doing this as well:
#5 Jesus Christ Showed Us How to Love Others
#11 I Love My Family
#16 I Will Say 'I'm Sorry'
#17 I Will Share
#18 I Will Love Others
#25 I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
and for a Seventh Lesson to work in: "Old Testament Stories" Enoch, Chapter 5
The song used in lessons 5, 16, 17 and 18 is "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus". "Happy Family" is part of lesson 11 and "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is the song used in lesson 25 oddly enoughInnocent

Comments

Popular Posts