Apple Crisp from food storage

I hosted the Provident Living Group from my ward last Saturday. I made my mom's Apple Crisp recipe, only I used food storage items.

So here is my modified Apple Crisp recipe:

Boil 3 cups of water, remove from heat, add 2 cups of dehydrated apples and let sit for 5 minutes, then drain water. Place in a well greased baking dish and set aside. (original recipe calls for 6-8 apples, quartered or 1 can apple slices)

Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees.

Work together in a bowl with a pastry blender or fork until crumbled:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (I used 1/4 cup shortening and 1/4 cup butter)
3/4 cup flour (I used 100% whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp. cinnamon

Pack closely over the apples in the baking dish. (If apples are very dry, 2 Tbsp of water can be added - and I did add the 2 Tbsp of water to my modified recipe).

Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes to one hour.

Serve warm with whipped cream or lemon sauce. Serves 6-8.

(Variation to original recipe: use 1/3 cup butter instead of 1/2 cup and sprinkle apples with 1/2 tsp salt)

I didn't take a picture, but it was delicious and one sister even commented that she was surprised I used 100% whole wheat flour in it since she normally doesn't like whole wheat flour.

Comments

Krystal said…
how do you store your butter? the canned stuff is sooo pricey! or do you just store shortening?
I store my butter in the freezer. But I do store shortening as well. Tips thought I was crazy when I bought two large cans of shortening at Costco earlier this last year because he didn't think I would ever use it all. Well.... we've almost finished the first can - so if I had to cook everything from scratch, I'm sure I would have used it all upa nd needed more!
I do think that some day I will buy the canned butter just to have on hand since it has a pretty long shelf life. Just not yet... we've got to get out of debt first!
NJenn said…
Oh dear this looks so good! I like the spin on a traditional American treat - would love to see more recipies with Mrs. Tips' twist.

Popular Posts