Home Canning: a great way to be GREEN!

My family is a huge clan of political conservatives - so it makes me smile when my mom says things like: "I've been recycling longer than Al Gore has" because it is SO true!


Long before it was vogue to be 'environmentally friendly" my parents have lived green and tried ot teach us to be green as well. Before I was ever born (27 years ago) my parents have always planted a HUGE garden (talk about not adding to the fuel consumption to ship food), they have always had a compost pile (nature's method of recycling: the only food we've ever thrown away in the garbage is food that is meat or foods that have meat in it - everything else has gone to the compost, in addition to including grass clippings and leaves to the pile), my mom used cloth diapers on 4 of the 6 kids (my sister had casts on her legs up to her thighs to straighten them and my mom used disposables to keep the casts dry - by the time my brother was born, my mom had 3 teenagers and didn't have energy after waiting up for them at night to keep using cloth on my brother), and my mom has canned or frozen most of the food we have grown throughout the years (or bought peaches & pears in bulk and had us help her can them).

The last item is what I'm going to be posting about today. Not only is canning a great way to recycle, it is also a great way to be prepared for many emergencies in life. It's obvious that canning recycles because you re-use the glass jars over and over and over again for life (unless they break or crack), but the link I've posted is to a comment my mom sent into a blog she is a faithful reader of: Totally Ready. She sent the comment to the blog author, who decided to post it! In it, my mom talks about how you can actually re-USE the canning lids as well, in addition to already re-using the bottles.

Home-bottled/canned food tastes so much better than store-bought food. You not only know where it comes from, but also what is exactly in the food. You aren't adding to the cost or consumption of shipping food from out of state/city to the grocery store and then to your house, and you also aren't adding to the consumption of the metals used to make the cans - there's a lot more metal in the cans then there is in the bottling/canning lids, plus, as you will learn, if you take care of the lids, you can actually re-use them up to 6 times each! You can't do that with a can from the store!

Here's the link: http://blog.totallyready.com/?p=169

Comments

Popular Posts