You too can make whole wheat pankcakes without a wheat grinder!

In an effort to encourage people to actually use their food storage regularly (and also as a result live healthier), I decided to incorporate a "Learning to Use Your Food Storage" as part of the Provident Living Enrichment group I started in my church. This Saturday will be the first time we have a little 'using your food storage' meeting, and I'm hosting it and we are going to have a brunch so we can have breakfast. We are going to have whole wheat pancakes, crepes (to use evaporated milk), Tang, and if I can make the Living Essentials oatmeal to try it before Saturday, then we'll have that as well.


I went ahead and made the whole wheat pancakes for my friend and I for lunch today, and it turned out pretty good. I even added some dried apple slices!
Here's the recipe from my mom that we ate quite often as I was growing up (I don't remember having non-whole wheat pancakes or waffles as often as I remember having whole wheat ones):

Whole Wheat Pancakes/ Waffles
1 cup whole wheat kernels
1 1/2 cup milk (or water)
Blend on high in your Osterizer or other food blender for 4 minutes. Stop blender.
Add:
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon honey (or sugar)
Blend until well mixed. Fold in (by hand) 1 Tablespoon baking powder. Cook on griddle or waffle iron.
What I actually do with this recipe. I like buttermilk pancakes. So I use buttermilk instead of regular milk or water. When I fold in the baking powder, I also include 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

Then, what I did to add to this is I added about 1/4- 1/2 cup of dried apple slices that I just broke up into smaller pieces by hand.


Then, for syrup - I made homemade maple flavored syrup. Here's the recipe for that:

1 cup water
1 cup sugar

(boil water until sugar is dissolved, you can also microwave the water and sugar together for 2 minutes or so until the sugar dissolves when you stir it)

Then add a dash of maple flavoring and a dash of vanilla (you can leave the vanilla out).
And since I'm not so good at the arbitrary measurements, the 'dash' I use is 1 teaspoon.
This syrup isn't thick like the store-bought syrup, but it's the only syrup I knew growing up and I always think it's good. Tips, on the other hand, is used to the store-bought thick syrup and doesn't like this 'watery' syrup, although he will use it on his pancakes if there isn't anything else.


Comments

Stephanie said…
I love your bolg! I too am always researching this and that on the internet and love when I come across sites like this- ones with info that I actually need! I never knew that you could use unground wheat like that. Fantastic to know! Thanks!
Cheapskate said…
I can vouch for Mrs. Tips' pancakes. . .they were yummy!! ;)
Sharee said…
I just remembered about this blog you have as well and I was wondering if I can get your crepes recipe - I need some recipes for evaporated milk to recycle through my food storage... you know how it is... I have no idea what to use evaporated milk for.

Popular Posts