Water Storage


My mom gave me a great idea for temporary water storage if you have food in canning bottles or empty canning bottles (Bell or Mason jars). When you use the food and have the empty jar -fill it up with water right after you clean it, put the lid on and screw the ring back on it. Not only will you have clean water until it's time to can again, but if you bottle your garden produce in summer/fall - your bottles will already be clean (no dust in them like has happened to me after I empty them) and you will only need to sterilize the bottles before putting food in them.

"What about the water? Wouldn't I just be pouring the water out down the drain?" you ask. You can use the water in the bottles to fill up the pan you are bottling the food in - then you aren't wasting water!

I just did this very idea on Friday and I also found an old glass mayonnaise jar with a lid. I really prefer glass to store water in because then I know I don't have any weird plastic chemicals getting into the water such as has been the debate lately of reusing plastic water bottles. I was able to get about 5 gallons of water stored this way - a long shot from the 42 gallons I need total for Marc, Mason and I, but this is a good start and it's better to have only a little compared to none at all. I do have about another 10 gallons of water in bottled water (2 packs of bottled Kirkland water from Costco that we bought when they had a coupon for a good price) - so that adds up to about 15 gallons total. 1/3 of the total I need for my family of 3.

If you click on this posting's title "Water Storage" it will take you to a great site by the Mississippi State Extension office on water storage and how to treat and store water.

Now that I have a young baby, I really appreciate the wisdom my mother had. She knew that in an extreme disaster, a nursing mother's milk could dry up if she was physically, mentally or emotionally under enough stress - so my mom always had formula on hand in case she ever was in a situation like that. She also realized that if the formula tasted like chlorine from treating water with bleach, an infant or toddler would most likely definitely refuse the formula. If that was the case, then whatever disaster you were in would become a REAL disaster with a crying, hungry baby. That is why my parents always keep clean water in glass cider jugs in our food storage. For long term water storage like that, you would need to pour the water back and forth between two pitchers to oxygenate the water again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great suggestion re using canning jars.

And the suggestion of keeping some formula on hand (+ 'canned' water) is excellent! Something I wouldn't have thought of, but oh so necessary.

Your Mom is a really wise woman!

Wonderful site ... thank you for sharing.

Cheers
J

Popular Posts