Free Fonts and How to Install Them!

Here is my promised posting on free fonts, where to find them and how to install them.

I post such an eclectic array of ideas because there must be other people who are as clueless about some of these things as I am. So if you are not one of those clueless people, then please forgive me and allow the indulgence of sharing my newfound knowledge!

Here is a "How To" website for Photoshop: http://www.photoshopsupport.com/resources/free-fonts.html
The link is to their page that lists all of the free font websites. I went to Urban Fonts (http://www.urbanfonts.com/) because it was the first one listed. There are so many fonts on each site that I would never be able to check them out, but feel free to leave a comment here with your experience with the different sites.

My friend Linda has used searchfreefonts.com and had a favorable experience with them.

I have seen the Disney font used somewhere other than as part of the Disney corporation, so I just typed in "Disney Font" in the search bar at Urban Fonts and it came up.

I downloaded it and unzipped it onto my desktop using WINRAR - next time I do it, when it asks me where I want to extract the file to, I'll extract it directly to the fonts folder, which is located in your control panel. As I quickly learned, just unzipping the font and extracting it to your computer is not enough to make it actually work in your applications, you have to install it onto your computer. So I googled "How to Install Fonts" and found these directions (http://www.ihowd.com/how-to-install-fonts):

Instructions

  1. In order to install fonts on a Microsoft Windows computer, you must first download the fonts that you wish to install. Once you’ve done that, you should close all Windows applications.
  2. Launch the Start Menu, select Settings, and open the Control Panel (if you are an XP/Vista user, you need not open the Settings directory). In the Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes. If you are using Microsoft Windows 2000 or have the Control Panel in Classic View, then double-click Fonts and proceed to step four.
  3. Click Fonts under See Also in the task pane. If your computer presents you with a folder tree and not a task pane, then select Folders on the toolbar. Under the See Also category, click Fonts.
  4. Select Install New Font under the File Menu.
  5. Select the drive that the font(s) is located on, in the list of drives.
  6. In the Folders list, double-click the folder containing the font(s) you’d like to install.
  7. After that, all you’d have to do is click on the font you’d like to add and then click on the OK button. If you wish to install multiple fonts, hold down the CTRL key and select the fonts you want to install.

It really was that easy. I hope that helps you in your card making, digi scrapping and whatever your font-related project is! This would also be a great way to find unique fonts to use in your child's name lettering project that I highlighted on 2 April 2008. If you have any questions or need more clarification, feel free to post a comment & I'll post a response in the comments section.

Comments

Popular Posts